Sunday, September 11, 2005

Lineup database nearly finished



(see explanation here)

I have been double checking all the MLS lineups to make sure the stats match. As for Open Cup/Champions Cup, they should be correct, but a couple errors will probably slip through. I can only go by what SoccerAmerica and usopencup.com give me. But the big news is that I am almost finished. I have doublechecked 7/12 teams, which takes some time. Not as much time as putting it together in the first place, but still a lot. In the process, I am putting together stats for total appearances and goals (I already had an excel file of goalscorers, but now I can be certain of the accuracy).

I am still planning on waiting until the end of the season to release the files, because I want to add this season first. But in the meantime, I thought I would show you my process for doublechecking and the work that goes into it. 1999 Dallas will be the example.


1) First, I copy all the MLS lineups and scores for that given season.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


2) Then, I make sure the number of goals for and against match up to the real numbers.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


3) I paste the mls stats for that season, then type out the player names, games started and sub appearances, and goals scored. I make sure the starts add up correctly (32*11=352) and the goals as well. (mlsnet has some mistakes)

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


4) I copy the goalscorers I have listed for that season, and make sure they match the totals for each player.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


5) Rather than check each individual starting lineup, I just count the total number of subs in each game, and make sure it matches the total number of sub appearances. It would be way too much work otherwise (as if it's not already!).

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


6) I then can paste the stats into the "yearly stats" tab.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


7) Add the stats from the playoffs/Open Cup/continental, then I have completed that season (doublechecking the playoff stats later). This is what I do for every season. It probably takes around 10 minutes or so for each one, more for this one because I'm taking screen shots. The finished product:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Comments on "Lineup database nearly finished"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (5:31 PM, September 12, 2005) : 

Great work.

 

post a comment