Friday, July 22, 2005

USA 2-1 Honduras



What a great, satisfiying game it turned out to be. Thank god, because I was in agony for 85 minutes. Although with the way we played last year, I expect us to make these comebacks now. We're better than Honduras, and we should beat them every time. We actually didn't play that badly, at least offensively. I saw some reports saying that Honduras dominated the game, and were unlucky to lose, which is ridiculous. They really didn't have that many great chances for all the counters they had. Meanwhile, we had Beasley's uncalled penalty, Ralston hitting the post, Noonan's header, etc. I think we were unlucky to not be tied going into the last few minutes.

John O'Brien was my man of the match, and it is just so encouraging to see him play the way he has. He really hasn't lost a step, and is a definite starter when healthy. If the Gold Cup does nothing else for us, then that's enough.

It's also interesting to note that JOB's goal was the 600th scored by a USA national team player, alltime. That doesn't include own goals.

Comments on "USA 2-1 Honduras"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (9:57 PM, July 30, 2005) : 

How did you calculate the number of goals all-time? Just curious.

 

Blogger scaryice said ... (12:43 AM, July 31, 2005) : 

http://www.soccerhall.org/Registry/MensNationalTeam_A-E.htm

A while ago, I took all the player stats from this site and put it into an excel file. After every game I update it myself (they update it too, but I like to have all the players ranked).

 

post a comment